HAS is a Government assistance scheme which assists those people who may need financial help in switching to digital TV. The scheme is designed primarily to provide assistance to older Australians, veterans and people with disabilities, or their carers.
If you are eligible, the scheme provides the following package free of charge:
- a high definition set-top box
- a demonstration of your new equipment and instructions on use
- 12 months warranty, service and technical support.
Am I eligible for free assistance?
You may be eligible for assistance if you:
- have not yet converted to digital TV (if you can watch ABC2, SBSTWO, 7TWO, GO! or Eleven, then you have access to digital TV)
own a working TV, and
- receive the full rateof one of the following payments:
- Age Pension
- Disability Support Pension
- Carer Payment
- Department of Veterans Affairs (DVA) Service Pension
- DVA Income Support SupplementIf you already have digital TV equipment, you may be eligible for assistance if you can’t get adequate digital TV reception.
How do I apply for the HAS?
The Department of Human Services will send letters to potentially eligible individuals inviting them to participate in the HAS. These letters will be sent before each area is due to switch over. The brochure accompanying the letter provides additional information about the HAS, including details of who is eligible and how to apply.
The letter invites you to contact the Department of Human Services on 1800 556 443 to check your eligibility for the HAS.